We wait all winter for spring. We brave the cold and rain stoically but we can’t help but feel relief when the calendar tells us it’s finally here. Spring has sprung and we don’t have a care in the world. Or do we? Someone, ages ago, it doesn’t matter who, coined the term “spring cleaning”. Now in our minds, it’s hard to think of the wonder of spring without the dreaded word “cleaning”
It’s decision time. Summer will be here soon and you won’t want to be cleaning when you can be out enjoying the weather. The sooner you start, the sooner you’re done, right? Let’s assume your house is relatively clean so this spring, you focus more on dealing with your stuff.
Decluttering an entire house is overwhelming. Here’s a few tips to get you started…
- Start with one room, and not the worst one. Try the guest room, dining room or hallway. You want the first room to be done quick and allow for easy decisions. When you check that room off, your confidence will be high and you’ll be more likely to continue with room number two.
- Set a minimum time limit, and stick to it. Aim for 5-10 minutes a day. If you’re in the zone, by all means spend longer. Even the busiest of us can find 5 minutes a day. If you commit to at least 5 minutes a day, you’ll be surprised at what you can accomplish in a week.
- Stop clutter at the source. Each time you want to purchase something new, ask yourself: do I really need this? And, if I buy it, where will I put it? Sometimes in order to make room for something new, you have to dispose of an existing item.
- Do good. Donating items is really a win/win situation. You don’t throw it out so it is not wasteful and someone else will get the use out of the item that you don’t. There’s really no point in keeping items you don’t use on at least a semi-regular basis.
- “A place for everything and everything in its place.” All your hard work decluttering may be for naught if you don’t have clear spots and areas for your everyday items and treasures. Use labels, boxes, baskets and filing systems – anything that reminds you (or your kids) where things go.
Hopefully this post has got you pumped for some decluttering but, if these tips still make you cringe at the thought of spring cleaning, then there is one other option. Give CleanStart a call and we can do it for you. It doesn’t get easier than that!